I build essentially one model in many variations. Body size and shape (based on a 1943 Hauser, Sr.) typically do not change, but woods, neck profiles, string spacing, and other details are designed to meet the needs of the customer and may vary from instrument to instrument.
Following are specifications for a typical 650-scale instrument:
- Thickness: 1st fret - 21.5 mm; 9th fret - 22.5 mm;
- Material: Spanish cedar;
- Contour: flattened oval cross section is standard; custom cross sections available;
- Graphite reinforcement for stability;
- Neck has hollow core to increase stiffness to mass ratio.
- Width: nut - 52 mm; 12th fret - 62 mm;
- Position markers: 2 mm dot at 7th fret;
- Extra frets: 20th fret for 3 treble strings;
- Material: ebony;
- Contour: to aid playability, fingerboard surface is a section of a cone (1-metre-radius arc at the nut - increasing radii toward the soundhole); flat or other arcs available;
- Elevated fingerboard: Fretboard surface is 14 mm above the soundboard at the neck/body joint to facilitate playing beyond the 12th fret.
- Nut - 8.4 mm (42 mm from 1st to 6th);
- Bridge - 11.4 mm (57 mm from 1st to 6th);
- Action height at 12th fret: 1st string - 2.5 mm; 6th string - 3.5 mm;
- String height at bridge: 1st string - 10.0 mm; 6th string - 10.0 mm;
- Soundboards designed for use with either light or normal tension strings.
- High frets (1.0 - 1.1 mm) are standard;
- Bevel on ends: 20 degrees;
- Usable fret surface: 1st fret - 51.5 mm; 12th fret - 61.5 mm.
Nut and saddle
- Thickness: nut - 4 mm; saddle - 4 mm;
- Compensation: strings individually compensated at both nut and saddle;
- Material: bone; mammoth ivory also available;
- Saddle slanted (bisects the string break angle) for greater downbearing pressure.
- Tie block: 12-hole type;
- Material: Rosewood.
- Thickness: 20 mm;
- String slot width: 16 mm;
- Roller-hole spacing: 35 mm (fits all standard tuners).
- Length: 48.5 cm;
- Upper bout - 28.2 cm;
- Waist - 24 cm;
- Lower bout - 36.8 cm;
- Neck/body joint - 8.9 cm;
- Tailblock - 9.7 cm;
- Arcing: Top and back are arced in both length and width;
- Total length of guitar (body + neck): 100 cm.
- French-polished shellac on soundboard and head;
- Lacquer on back and sides for greater durability;
- Optional French polish or lacquer finish throughout;
- Optional oil finish on neck for greater playability.
- Completed instrument (without strings and tuners) weighs approximately 1300 grams (less than 3 pounds).
"...TONE IS SO IMPRESSIVE. THE FRETS, ACTIONS OF STRINGS, DISTANCES OF STRINGS, THE NECK IS A PERFECT FIT FOR ME. THE BEAUTIFUL DYNAMIC TONES IT CREATES SURPASSES MOST GUITARS I'VE PLAYED. THE WEIGHT IS SO LIGHT... I AM ABSOLUTELY SATISFIED."
#293     Leo Leoncito     Ontario, Canada
"I REALLY LOVE IT... ONE OF THE BEST I'VE EVER PLAYED."
#294     Tao He     Michigan, USA
Classical Guitars by Fritz Mueller
Email: Fritz Mueller
Fritz Mueller, luthier
7210 Tatlayoko Road
Tatlayoko Lake, British Columbia
Canada V0L 1W0
Website copyright 1998-2018